Thursday, June 19, 2008

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store... Half Restaurant, Half Store... All Country


I don't know about you, but I just LOVE Cracker Barrel! The food is good ole' southern food, the atmosphere is cozy, and the store has some really neat items. Also, the rocking chairs on the front porch give this restaurant that "Down Home" country feel. It is the closest thing you can get to mama's and granny's kitchen, especially in Louisville, KY!

My husband and I and a couple of our best friends, Nuno and Sarah, decided to hit the Barrel after church last night around 9:00 p.m. This is a great time to go -- kind of late -- but there was not a wait and hardly anyone in the restaurant. We ordered our drinks and then contemplated what to order (except my husband, of course, who always gets the same exact thing: chicken dumplings, mashed potatoes, green beans, and cornbread with a Diet Coke). I couldn't decide on Breakfast or Dinner. [They really shouldn't put both menus on the table -- it can cause a lot of stress in someone's life!!] I really wanted a bowl of soup beans, but I also wanted french toast. I seriously thought about getting both, but decided against it. :) And then, there was the Broccoli Chedder Chicken which was the Wednesday Special....and then there was the picture of the BBQ chicken dinner as soon as you opened the menu.

So......decisions, decisions. Well, after much contemplation and temptation, I finally decided and here is what I ended up ordering:

Momma’s French Toast Breakfast®

Four slices of our own Sourdough French Toast and Two Eggs cooked to order~
with your choice of either~Any Fruit Topping or Pure Maple Syrup~and~Choice of Smoked Sausage Patties, Turkey Sausage Patties orThick-Sliced Bacon

I wish I had a picture of this sweet and delicious meal. You'll just have to trust me that it was soooo worth waiting for! The french toast was perfectly cooked with a crisp, crunchy crust and it did not taste "eggy" if you know what I mean. I had turkey sausage with my french toast, and pure maple syrup (sausage with syrup is one of my favorite things!). Everything was hot, which was very surprising at 9:30 p.m. ...probably because they had to cook everything fresh. I chose scrambled eggs, but gave those to Nuno.

Oh yeah, I also had a biscuit with strawberry jam for my appetizer. Did you know that you have to ask for bread now? CB will not bring out your complimentary corn muffins and biscuits unless you ask for them. What is the world coming to??!!

Anyway, dinner was great. Fellowship was great. Unfortunately, though, I did not have enough time after dinner to shop in the country store (they were closing), but I did manage to pick up some "vintage candy" -- Razzles!!


"First it's candy, then it's Gum!!" My friend Sarah and I just had to have some, especially since it was from the movie "13 Going On 30". We were so excited about our candy, and seeing what color our tongues were (as our husbands made fun of us!) that I totally walked off and left my to-go box of that yummy french toast that I could have had for breakfast this morning. :(

2 comments:

Jason said...

Chicken & dumplings...why mess with a good thing?

Anonymous said...

I love Cracker Barrel - and Razzles?! Amazing! Callie