Friday, June 20, 2008

It's as easy as ... PIE!!

Yeah right! We have all heard that saying before, but is pie really that easy to make? I mean, first you have to make the crust. Then you have to make the filling. Then you have to make the top crust or the meringue. Let's face it, that is absolutely too much work for a simple slice of goodness!! (well, depending on the pie, I guess). It would be so much easier to buy one of those "don't let your grandma see you buy that" freezer section pies... or a pie from the bakery at the grocery store...or if you are in Louisville, one of those scrumptious pies from the Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen. But wait, before you go running out to pick up one of the above mentioned pies, read on.


If you like pecan pie, I have an "easy as pie" recipe for you to try (and I promise, it is easy!). In fact, the recipe is from a kitchen magnet I picked up while I was vacationing in Savannah, Georgia last summer. I know! Isn't that neat? Who would have thought to put a recipe on a magnet? Anyway, here is my $1.75 magnet recipe:




At first, I was hesitant to make the pie using this "magnet recipe" - after all, it is from a magnet. Well, let me just tell you, I have made this pie about a dozen times and have found it to be very simple, very easy, and very delicious!! Actually, I just made this pie for one of our sweet professors at the Seminary. It took all of about 5 minutes to prepare. It takes a while for it to bake, though (about an hour), but the wait is definitely worth it. Just in case you can't see the recipe above, here it is:


Pecan Pie
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat 3 eggs, 2/3 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/3 cup of butter (the real stuff), and 1 cup of dark or light corn syrup. Cover bottom of pie shell with one cup of pecan halves or broken (chopped) pecans. Pour the syrup mixture over the pecans. Bake 40-50 minutes or until filling is set.

Now there are several options for the crust. You can either purchase a frozen crust (I think granny would be okay with this) - Mrs. Smith's is my personal favorite; a refrigerated crust (such as Pillsbury), a pie crust mix (Jiffy is the best), or you can make your own from scratch. I used the refrigerated one (Pillsbury) for the pie I made last night. Here is what the finished product looked like:



I was a little disappointed in the way the crust turned out (you can't tell it from the picture, but it is a little brown-er than I would have liked), but hopefully it tasted okay. I am still learning the "decorative edge technique" - haven't mastered that yet. Oh well, practice makes perfect!!

No comments: