Saturday, May 1, 2010

When you don't have any food in the house....

It has been raining ALL DAY LONG here in "Derby City," and I don't have any groceries in my house. I used the last 4 pieces of bread to make hubby and little man a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch (we had tomato soup too, but made with water since we are also out of milk!). I have been trying to "clean out" my fridge and my pantry lately before going grocery shopping so I don't overstock on items. Well....I think I waited a little too long this time.


If you were to look in my fridge right now, you would see the following things: 5 slices of cheese, some shredded cheese, a can of crescent rolls, sour cream, some Coke Zero, a half a jug of Pedialyte, a pudding cup, 3 sticks of butter, and condiments. No milk, no eggs, no juice, no lunchmeat. The freezer is just the same - 3 chicken breasts, some ice cream, a bag of frozen broccoli, some frozen cherries and corn, and ice cubes. I promise I am going to the store.....tomorrow. :)


So what do you make with what little you have in your house? I came up with a recipe using the crescent rolls, chicken, sour cream and cheese, and half a can of cream of chicken soup. I call them "Chicken Pockets". Here is the recipe (or what I just threw in a bowl!):


Chicken Pockets


3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/2 can cream of chicken soup
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese (colby jack is best, but I only had mozzarella)
2 cans crescent rolls**


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together shredded chicken, soup, sour cream, and cheese.
Unroll crescent rolls. Pinch two crescent rolls together to form a rectangle. Place a heaping spoonful of the chicken mixture in each rectangle. Pull up corners and pinch sides together to form a little purse, or "pocket". Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!

**I only had one can of crescent rolls, so I had quite a bit of chicken mixture left over. Maybe I'll get some more at the grocery tomorrow.... :)

No comments: