Friday, December 12, 2008

On the fourth day of Christmas treats....

I have to be honest and say that I have never made Gingerbread Men. Nope, haven't tried my hand at these cute little spicy fellas. I have made Gingerbread, though. I have some great quality sorghum that I use in my gingerbread that comes from a little place in Jeffersonville, KY called Townsend's Sorghum. I highly recommend their sorghum as it is the best I have tasted! And, if you have never had sorghum molasses, you do not know what you are missing. :)

This is a recipe from my friend Kim. She is an excellent baker and practically bakes every day! Her blog is full of recipes and restaurant reviews. This is one of her cookie recipes, although my favorite cookies of hers are her Soft Jumbo Peanut Butter Cookies and her Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. Here you go:

Gingerbread Cookies

3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp each nutmeg and cloves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all of the above dry ingredients.

1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup molasses (unsulphured - the normal kind you can find in the syrup aisle)

Cream butter and sugar, add egg. Stir in molasses. Add in the dry ingredients. Mix well.
Spray cookie sheets or use parchment paper. Bake for 9 minutes.

No comments: